Muslim Alumnae/i Community
Simmons has formed a new community for Muslim alumnae/i. Included here are ways to reconnect.
Things have really changed since you were here! Simmons College has made a commitment to accommodate its increasing Muslim student population.
(January 2011) -- Simmons has a new Muslim Chaplain:
Ola Aljawhary, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-521-2497
Chaplain to the Muslim Community, Office of Spiritual Life
- First Muslim Chaplain hired in 2008 to provide advice, pastoral care, education, and administrative support for students, faculty and staff, and be a part of the new Office of Spiritual Life on campus.
- Learn more about Chaplain Mary Lahaj and her appointment to the Interfaith Center
- Halal hamburgers & hot dogs served at three locations on campus.
- Ramadan table set up in Bartol: During Ramadan, halal meat served every night (following the prayer schedule) exactly at sunset.
- Sahoor: Breakfast can be picked up the night before and ordered online.
- Prayer Room in Bartol: Prayer room available during Ramadan in Bartol Small.
- Prayer Room on Academic Campus: For prayer/reflection between classes, accessible at all times, has the Qiblah, copies of Qur'an, prayer rugs and head covers.
Ways to Reconnect:Stop by the Office of Spiritual Life (basement, MCB, W-009).Contact us: SIS President Nashua Khalil, email@example.com or Muslim Chaplain Ola Aljawhary, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-521-2497.Attend a Simmons Islamic Society (SIS) program. (Please contact Nashua Khalil or Valerie Foster for information about upcoming events.)
The Simmons Islamic Society or SIS is a diverse group of women who are passionate about serving community, proud of their religious heritage, and welcoming to all.Tell Your Story: We would love to hear about your experience at Simmons.
SIS Executive Board
Looking for ways to help?
Support Muslim students who are trying to live a faithful life.
Simmons Islamic Society Wishlist:
- Provide wudu stations in the dorms and in the Main College Building.
- Locate and support a larger prayer space on the academic campus.
- Fund an extra day for the advisor to serve the growing Muslim community.
For information about supporting the Muslim students on campus, please contact the Office of Advancement at 800-831-4284 or email@example.com or you may contact SIS President Nashua Khalil, firstname.lastname@example.org or Ola Aljawhary email@example.com, Chaplain to the Muslim Community, Office of Spiritual Life, 617-521-2497.
President Helen G. Drinan '75LS, '78SM and Shugufa Basijrasikh '10, a student from Afghanistan attending Simmons on scholarship. Basijrasikh received the scholarship from Simmons through the IEAW (Initiatives Educate Afghan Women) Program.